Wireless nightmare

Upya 17:42 08 Feb 08

Hi there,

I have a wireless problem and really hope you guys maybe able to help me out.

I brought my mother a router for her birthday (Edimax BR-6204Wg wireless-g broadband router) and have been trying to set it up for her for days.

She has a laptop with built in wifi (Intel (R) Pro/wireless 3945ABG) and she is on virgin media broadband, she has a webstar cable modem.

I connected the laptop to the router through the LAN and set it up as per the instruction manual (cloning the mac address, because she is on virgin media, without cloning it, I couldn't get a connection at all).

Accessing the internet through the router using LAN cable works fine without any problems. However when unplugging the cable and trying to connect to the network using the built in wireless network card I can't get it to connect, it just keeps saying 'Accquiring network address' and never actually gets past that.

The manual says that you should make sure that the Internet protocol (TCP/IP) are set as 'Not obtain an IP address automatically' & 'Obtain DNS server address automatically', however as this wasn't working I tried setting the settings as the following:

Use the following IP address:

IP address: 192.168.2.3 (I tried several different numbers for this last number)
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 192.168.2.1

Use the following DNS server addresses:

Preferred DNS server: 192.168.2.1
Alternate DNS server: BLANK

(192.168.2.1 is the ip address for the router, as stated in its manual and is what you type in the browser to access the routers configuration page)

Using these settings the wireless network connects straight away and states:

Speed 54.0 Mbps
Signal strength: excellent

However I can't actually connect to the internet, having tried various methods such as different browsers, msn, virus updates, etc.

I have made sure that I have all firewalls and anything else I can think that may be blocking it switched off, but to no avail.

This is the case whether I set the security settings as WEP, WPA or indeed no security at all. I have also made sure I have mac filtering switched off on the router.

Now I know the router is working with the modem and that it can access the internet, when I ping the routers ip when LAN cable attached I get:

Pinging 192.168.2.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=255
Reply from 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=255

Ping statistics for 192.168.2.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 2ms, Average = 1ms

However when I try pinging it with the LAN cable out, it does not fine the router.

I really am lost at to what to try next and I am really beginning to regret giving my mother such a duff birthday present, so I really hope someone may be able to help me get this wireless nightmare sorted.

Apologies for such a long post, I just wanted to give as much information as I could.

Many, many thanks for any help you may be able to give me.

Lee

ipconfig/all details to follow, as my message was too big

Upya 17:42 08 Feb 08

ipconfig/all gives states the following:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : epoh
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-18-DE-71-EE-50
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.3
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-D4-98-B8-5A
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.101
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 07 February 2008 18:17:59
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 25 December 1901 11:49:43

buzzwold 11:06 13 Feb 08

I noticed there is an error with your date/time setup. The DHCP lease expires on Xmas day 1901, but that is not causing the problem here. You have set an IP address manually for the wireless adapter, but not the DNS Server addresses. These can be obtained by contacting your ISP/Broadband provider. You might be better off obtaining both IP and DNS Server addresses automatically. HTH and wish your mum a belated happy bithday!

dms05 15:56 13 Feb 08

Agree. I'd enable DHCP.

Ashrich 22:31 13 Feb 08

The default gateway and DHCP server should be different to the DNS server , Default Gateway and DHCP server on the wireless router , DNS server from the modem ...which leads me to ask , what is the IP's of the modem , and of the wireless router ? Are they the same ...if so there is a conflict there , and DHCP should be either disabled on one of them , or the wireless router should be forced into having a different subnet . For example , I have a separate modem and router , when I do an ipconfig I get the Default Gateway at 192.168.0.1 , same for the DHCP server , but the DNS server address is 192.168.1.1 ( address of modem ) So either use the wireless router as an access point , ot change the IP to a different sub .

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…