Wireless Networks

  Siberian Winter 04:00 27 Dec 05

Hello all. This is not really a problem, but I'd appreciate some advice. I have a desktop PC connected to the internet via a USB broadband modem connected to a phone socket and a filter. I have acquired a laptop which is supplied fitted with a wireless network card of some sort. I'd like to set up the laptop to link up with the desktop PC and access the internet. Everything I've looked at so far has just left me more confused. Router? I don't even know how to pronounce it. Does it rhyme with outer or hooter? Can anyone help me out? Maybe there's a website out there which explains it in words of one syllable. Both computers run XP. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

  Skyver 09:29 27 Dec 05

Router is usually pronounced rhyming with `hooter` here, US pronunciation usually rhymes it with `outer`.
You need a wireless ADSL modem/router; very basic overview here click here
and a Q&A click here

  Ikelos 09:36 27 Dec 05

Mr BT, on his website will tell you what you want, and you can, if you wish, get the lot from him, the whole setup will take less than 15 minutes.

  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:31 27 Dec 05

You can use Internet connection sharing.

Desktop requires modem + wireless "card" + ICS switched on. If you dont want to open the case to fit a wireless car use a USB wireless dongle

Run wireless set up on main PC then with the disk that is created do the same on the laptop.

Full details click here

  Forum Editor 10:51 27 Dec 05

so I'm moving it now.

  Freddog™ 11:37 27 Dec 05

Ha ha!
You move a lot of threads!
Even mine, HOW DARE YOU!!! :D
I guess it's coz' it just say's Helproom so people just think to go there!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now