wireless networks

thefuse 08:57 27 Sep 05

my laptop picks up a local wireless network, i put in the password and key, it says i'm connected with a strong signal, but shouldnt i be able to go online with that now? is there something else i need to do?

fitshase 09:43 27 Sep 05

Not necessarily. Is this wireless network yours or is it someone elses? If it is not your network and you do not have the permission of the network owner then you may get into trouble (have a look here for discussion on the subject - click here)

The wireless network you are connecting to may not be connected to the internet (it may be used for an internal network only or the modem may be switched off).

If it is your network then check the internet connection of the host PC or router to make sure everything is working OK. Try connecting the laptop to the router/host machine via a cable and check for an internet connection. If this works then there is a problem with some of the wireless settings.

Regards

Fitshase

thefuse 10:36 27 Sep 05

the signal is coming from a cyber cafe and i have the permission of the owner to use it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:50 27 Sep 05

Is your laptop set up for internet connection sharing and do you have the username and password to log onto the Cyber cafes ISP?

scotty 11:14 27 Sep 05

Could be a firewall problem. Are you running software firewall such as ZoneAlarm? Try disabling firewall. If this works then it is just necessary to set permissions in the firewall program to allow connection.

fitshase 16:44 27 Sep 05

I had to ask the question.

Have you asked the cybercafe if they are running a proxy server? If they are then you will have to set your internet settings to connect via a proxy server (and give the IP address of that server).

Regards

Fitshase

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…