Wireless Networking on XP

Gary1979 22:34 28 Jan 04

Hi guys,

I had a wireless network set up using my old PC (running on Windows ME) as the Host. Now my nice new PC is running on XP, I am having trouble getting the network to work.

I have installed the Wireless Netgear MA101 Adaptor and the driver, but it says the 'wireless network is unavailable'.

I have noticed that my cable modem is showing as 'Local Area Connection 2', is this correct?

When I was using ME, the icon for the Netgear Configuration Utility was on the taskbar, but this isn't there on XP and I can't find it anywhere on my PC.

As soon as I can get the Network connected with my specified IP Address on the Host PC, the rest should be easy.

Any ideas?

Gaz 25 23:06 28 Jan 04

Right, this is the problem with networking between OSs.

But anyway, you do not need the config util, you can do this from XP anyway. Right click the Wireless connection adapter and assign an IP, etc.

Your cable will show up as a Lan Connection, and since it is the second, it will be number 2.

Need anymore help, please e-mail and I will send you instructions.

mgmcc 23:11 28 Jan 04

<<< I have installed the Wireless Netgear MA101 Adaptor and the driver, but it says the 'wireless network is unavailable' >>>

Have you configured it to seek "Ad Hoc" networks or can you not get that far without having access to the Netgear Configuration Utility? Is it not possible to access the Utility from the C:\Program Files\ folder?

<<< I have noticed that my cable modem is showing as 'Local Area Connection 2', is this correct? >>>

Almost certainly if the other adapter is "Local Area Connection". As it connects to the internet, you can always rename it as "Internet" or "Cable Modem" to avoid confusion.

You might find this website helpful if you have problems with setting up Internet Connection Sharing - click here

Gary1979 00:02 29 Jan 04

I did have a problem before with the "Ad Hoc" part when I was using ME, and I fixed this by amending it in the Config Utility. This made the little icon in the taskbar turn from Red to Green.

But now I can't find the Config Utility anywhere, I've tried the usual search by filename, tried looking through my Program Files etc. and even installed it again to see where it installs to... but it doesn't say.

Maybe XP just doesn't need the Config Utility, or the little icon on the taskbar which changes from Red to Green, just like it doesn't seem to have the icon for ICS on the taskbar like Windows ME had.

Lozzy 08:42 29 Jan 04

You you see 'Local Area Connection 2' do you also see in view Network connections Network Bridge. If not create one and that will solve your ales. I am assuming that you have the Lan cable going direct from Cable modem to Router and do you have a wireless card in your PC or is a lan cable (RJ 45 patch) if the later make sure its not a Xover. If you have a Wireless Card in your PC make sure its enabled. Also make sure you have disabled any firewall whilst setting up the wireless network then re enable firewall.

mgmcc 14:33 29 Jan 04

<<< But now I can't find the Config Utility anywhere >>>

If you right click the "Local Area Connection" relating to the Wireless Adapter and select 'Properties', there should be a Wireless Networks tab in which you can configure the settings. I've just checked in mine, although the wireless adapter I use with XP is actually PCMCIA in a laptop.

Stuartli 15:05 29 Jan 04
  Stuartli 15:06 29 Jan 04

This is main link:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…