Wireless networking with a USB modem - possible?

Eagie 18:33 28 Jul 03

To start with, many apologies in this question has already been done before...

I have been reading a bit about wireless networking and want to go that way when I get in to my new house (I don't want cables everywhere and it will be nice being able to browse on the patio!) and have been looking at Belkin's kit (I would like to use the new 54g technology).

My problem is that I don't have a cable modem - just a USB one supplied with Freeserve. Will I have to ditch my old modem and replace it as the wireless routers all seem to be for cable/ethnet equipped modems

So far I think what I need is:

ADSL modem/router (to replace USB modem)
Wireless access point or wireless router (Is there any real difference?)
A PCI interface card (for my desktop)
Card bus interface card (for my laptop)

Is this right or is there something I can use my my current modem?

Bronica 18:51 28 Jul 03

When I was looking 4 months ago I couldn't find a way to do this with a USB modem without having the main pc on when wnting to conect to the net from the laptop. I finished up buying a D Link ADSL wirekess router. I don't know if there is a way now though since I stoped looking.

how many computers are in your network?
if you have just the two computers then use the main computer as the internet gateway via your usb modem and set up your wireless LAN with internet connection sharing

Eagie 19:55 28 Jul 03

I do only have two machines but ideally I'd rather not have to leave my main machine on all the time which is why I wanted to go down the router route.

Cheers,

James

jazzypop 20:52 28 Jul 03

Ditch your USB modem. The full range of routers will then be opened up to you, with all of the many features available.

If you really need to stick with the USB modem, go for one of the USB Vigor routers, and add a wireless access pont to it. You will find this a far more expemsive option than a new modem and a Netgear or D-Link wireless router.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…