Wireless Networking Setup

sam2004 17:35 19 Apr 04

Hi,
I am looking at buying wireless network cards for two pcs. please click here to see the product in mind.
What i would like to know is whether it would be possible to do two-pc-networking without a router, or other device. Should this not be possible pleaase could you kindly re-direct me to another device.

Thankyou all for your help! :-)

georgemac 18:16 19 Apr 04
  LeadingMNMs 18:22 19 Apr 04

A simple network only needs two PCs, using what is known as an ad-hoc or peer-to-peer network. This means that the two computers only need the wireless cards (usually PCI) in them.

There are obvious advantages and disadvantages to having a router or access point on the network. Obviously there is a greater cost for not a lot extra but they are vital if increasing the size of the network.

Alot depends on what you are expecting of the network, particularly in terms of whether you want to share an internet connection, where the host computer must be on at all times, or whether you would like both computers to have internet access without the need for the other computer to be turned on.

Hope this helps.

PS. Try here for any hardware you may want click here

SEASHANTY 20:57 19 Apr 04

Using a router will give independent access to either PC without the need to have the main PC
(i.e. the one connected to the modem) switched on.
A routerwith combined switch will also give you a
firewall protection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…