Wireless networking question.

simon_lambert 21:39 11 Mar 07

I need to connect to PCs wirelessly. Can I do this with just a router and usb wireless adaptor? Thanks

Taff™ 07:36 12 Mar 07

Obviously both computers need to be wireless enabled so you may need two wireless adapters and a router. That will work.

Alternatively an ad hoc network is possible which doesn`t require a router. click here

Ashrich 20:56 12 Mar 07

If one PC is attached to the router , you'll only need one adapter , are these both desktops , laptops or one of each ?

Ashley

simon_lambert 23:33 12 Mar 07

Both are desktops. How would I go about doing this Ashley? Thanks

Ashrich 08:35 13 Mar 07

Assuming one of the PC's will be attached to the wireless router via Ethernet cable then the other can have a wireless adapter to enable it to communicate , better to use a USB adapter with an extension lead ( usually provided ) for better placement . Did you want Internet access for both as well ? If so then an ADSL ( if you have broadband ) would be better . Having got both connected to the router you can then go through the Windows Network wizard , making sure both PC's are in the same workgroup ( defaults to MSHome ) and having enabled File and Print sharing ( also in Wizard ) set up files and folders for sharing by right clicking on them in Windows Explorer and going to the " Sharing " section . You should get a " My Network Places " entry in Explorer , double click on that and if all is set up right , your shares will appear in the right pane .

Ashley

simon_lambert 09:46 13 Mar 07

Cheers buddy, will try it out when my networking gear arrives. Si :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac