Wireless Networking Problems

YinHoNg 14:52 09 Oct 04

Hi. I recently installed my PCI card and wireless router. I managed to get that network running.

But now i'm trying to bring my old computer into the network.

I've installed the PCI card into the slot and installed the drivers and wireless LAN utility. But for some reason it cannot detect any network/router.
It is quite far away from the router and through a few walls. Could this be the problem?

Diodorus Siculus 15:06 09 Oct 04

One way to find out is to take it into the same room and see if you can connect. That will have the added advantage of you being able to work on both PCs without having to move between rooms...

YinHoNg 15:20 09 Oct 04

The thing is that the other computer is for my sister so i cannot permanently move it to my room.

I just want to add that i checked my device manager and it clearly states that my PCI card is INSTALLED and WORKING. The drivers have definitely been installed and the utility also has.

When i set it up with my other computer before, what happened was that in the bottom right(the system tray?) there was a little signal indicator. This would obviously indicate whether the signal was strong or weak or non exisitent. But nevertheless, it was and have always been there.

After installing the hardware and software for my pci card, that little indicator has not appeared.

Does this give any help on how to solve this?

Diodorus Siculus 15:29 09 Oct 04

My suggestion for moving it to your room was only as a temporary measure - until you manage to get it working.

Sorry I can't be of any help.

Viv-208691 16:07 09 Oct 04

what equipment are you using Yin???

easyrider 16:15 09 Oct 04

It is more than likely that the distance and the walls are your problem, especially if any of the walls are stuctural walls.If you really want to go wi-fi then you may have to invest in a couple of wireless access points.

nick_j007 16:29 09 Oct 04

Yes, try them in the same room to see if it a distance problem. If it is, you can then get a re router I think it is called to relay the signal along and bridge the gap in the middle as it were.

All a process of elimination really.

Keep us posted.

Nick

YinHoNg 23:05 09 Oct 04

Thanks.
I just tried it in the same room and it makes no difference. When i open up the wireless configuration utility it says that the wireless network adapter is not connected. But i am absolutely certain that my pci card is installed.

I tried 'scanning' for the network but nothing was detected.

I mean i'm pretty sure that its supposed to automatically detect right?

I've already got one desktop connected to the wireless router(3com adsl router-Uber) so i dont really understand why it doesnt work.......

nick_j007 23:13 09 Oct 04

Might you be best in making this new connection with a cable first whilst they're in the same room?
This seems to ring a bell in my mind as to the recommended set up procedure in my manual when I went wireless a while back.

Another thought to mull over?

Nick

nick_j007 23:17 09 Oct 04

Maybe go to a restore point if you're on XP with the other PC you're trying to set up and do it yet again using a cable to ensure that the connection is solid?
I am I admit slightly unsure myself on how to do this...maybe others could interject?
Might you need to enter a WEP key to open the connection finally also?

?

?

Keep at it.

Nick

YinHoNg 00:58 10 Oct 04

Thanks a lot for the advice but its all fixed now. I actually resetted the router and set it all up again. I don't actually understand how it's been 'fixed' but its working so i don't really care!

Thanks a lot pcadvisors. I'm always happy with the help i recieve on this forum- its first class.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…