Wireless networking problem

claireatkinson 18:44 15 Sep 06

Hi There. Today I bought the Netgear WG511 wireless networking card for my laptop. It won't connect to the internet and I'm not sure why, it just says there's no signal. My laptop is part of a LAN network ( think thats the right term) as in it is not the only computer in the house, the main PC has to be connected before the laptop connects itsself, i' not sure if this has anything to do with it and it might require different settings when installing? any help would be really appreciated
thanks

The Kestrel 19:02 15 Sep 06

I am assuming that you have broadband internet. Do you have a wireless router attached to a filter on your 'phone socket? This transmits the signal around your home. The wireless network card will detect this signal and then you will be able to connect to the internet on your laptop. Your main PC will also need to connect to the router, either by cable or via a wireless card.

ade.h 19:05 15 Sep 06

click here Network forum.

Are you using the PCMCIA card with or without the management software? Is it compatible with your chosen encryption protocol?

claireatkinson 19:07 15 Sep 06

what does the wireless router look like?? I'm too untechnical hehe..

ade.h 20:07 15 Sep 06

Not trying to be funny, but perhaps you would have been better off posting in Absolute Beginners in that case.

The router is the little box with the aerials sticking out of it.

The Kestrel 23:13 15 Sep 06

I suggest that you read through this guide click here about how to set up a wireless network. It will explain what you require and how to go about setting it up.

claireatkinson 10:02 16 Sep 06

thanks a lot for the link, very helpful.

not trying to be funny, but maybe you get off on your technical jargon.

ade.h 14:51 16 Sep 06

You asked a question and we tried to answer it. There is nothing wrong with being new to computing but you would have helped us to help you by posting in the Beginners forum OR STATING IT IN YOUR OPENING POST if you needed an explanation of everything, but I for one have not got the time or energy to sit here typing a definition for every term that you will encounter in basic home networking on the off-chance that you don't know what they mean. If we all did that all the time, far fewer people would actually get responses.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…