Wireless Networking NTL

accord 18:00 26 Jun 03

I have seen on the NTL website an offer for wirelessly networking 2 PCs click here

I know there are better products out there on the market, and reading threads on this forum i think alot of people like Netgear products.

My question is..... my main pc is XP home connected to NTL 600k via ethernet and the other PC is w98se connected to the network via USB. Is it just a case of plugging the ethernet cable on PC1 into the Router then on PC2 plugging the wireless adaptor into the USB socket.

Hope you can understand that and look forward to any comments

accord 20:39 26 Jun 03

kentylad 20:52 26 Jun 03

Just yesterday I installed a wireless network in my house between a desktop and laptop

I currently have my desktop wired to the router via ethernet (as you said) and then the laptop connected via PCMCIA (wireless obviously)

so, in a nutshell; yes that is all you have to do (although it may take some configuration)

One thing I didn't realise was that I had to register my MAC address for my router with my ISP (blueyonder) just like I have done for my ethernet cards.

The MAC address is usually found on the bottom of the router or on the router setup page. Check with NTL to see whether this is needed to connect.

accord 07:23 27 Jun 03

Kentylad: Cheers for that, networking is not as easy as one first thought re: configuration, but i dont think that will put me off.

any more comments?

kentylad 09:00 28 Jun 03

Well, depending on your hardware, there are usually some aspects of that hardware that need to be altered i.e. the router settings.

I have a Linksys router which has a standard configuration/setup page, which can be found by typing its network address.

Once you get your hardware accord, it will seem a lot clearer what I am rabbiting on about!!

Keep us informed as to what you have bought

accord 06:42 01 Jul 03

cheers for your comments

went into to PCW yesterday and lloked at the Linksys router etc which incidentally reviewed in PC Pro this month. Think i will go for this when i have sorted out my other pc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…