wireless networking newbie

wky 12:01 17 Jun 06

Hi all, I just received my first wireless router, it was a network kit including a laptop network adapter. It's a linksys router wireless-G. I used the built in adapter on my laptop which is broadcom and it works just fine.

I've placed the router downstairs where my previous wired router was and everything is working perfectly. I just wanted some tips to get the best performance out of it, also set up wep, changed ssid etc.

When I use it upstairs in my room the connection drops to very good or good, just wanted ideas to boost connection. Cheers.

wky 12:04 17 Jun 06

also, my post may be a bit confusing, I've actually set up wep already and set up a new ssid, changed password etc. I would also like to know what channel is best to use it on, as mine is currently set to 11. cheers. also what is difference between ad-hoc and infrastructure?

ade.h 13:48 17 Jun 06

Ad-hoc = a peer to peer LAN; infrastructure = a router-based LAN.

The channel does not matter unless there are other networks in the vicinity that appear to be causing interference.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…