wireless networking minefield (mibbe not)

bigboab y 23:33 28 Nov 05

Friend has bought a laptop and wants to wirelessly connect to her Telewest broadband setup (desktop) ... PCMCIA card is no problem apparently.. shove it in and it'll work (XP PRO on laptop)..I know a wireless broadband router/modem is required to replace the existing cable modem but she has no ethernet card on her desktop. Is there a router that has a usb output?? I saw one made by Buffalo on Ebuyer which mentions a usb adapter thingy. Is this what she needs (or something similar).. once again no (SEARCH) available on here today.

Forum Editor 23:57 28 Nov 05

not the Helproom, and I'll move it there now.

mgmcc 00:44 29 Nov 05

<<< I know a wireless broadband router/modem is required to replace the existing cable modem >>>

*** ABSOLUTELY, DEFINITELY NOT! ***

You MUST NOT use a combined Router and ADSL Modem with Telewest Cable broadband - that is only for ADSL broadband via the phone line. Also, you MUST NOT replace the supplied Cable Modem.

With Telewest you use a "stand-alone" router, often referred to as a Cable/DSL Router (don't confuse the reference to DSL with routers that have the ADSL modem built-in) and this connects by ethernet cable to the Telewest Cable Modem. You are not allowed to replace the supplied Cable Modem, although there is in any case no need to do so.

<<< but she has no ethernet card on her desktop. >>>

To connect to a router, she will need to install an ethernet card or a Wireless Network Adapter in the desktop PC - either of these can be an internal PCI card or USB. Usually, it is necessary to connect by ethernet cable initially to set the Router and its Wireless Access Point up. Thereafter, all connections can be wireless.

This is the Buffalo Wireless Router I use with Telewest - click here

bigboab y 09:28 29 Nov 05

Good info MG... sooo I plug in this router..run the ethernet cable from the router to the ethernet socket on the modem... at the same time run an ethernet cable from the router into her desktop (I'll dig out a PCI ethernet card and stick it in her desktop ).. do I also leave the existing USB cable (which currently goes from her modem into her desktop ) in situ??? Sorry to sound dumb but this wireless thing is new to me .. DUH-O

bigboab y 10:07 29 Nov 05

Now looking for a pcmcia card for lappy.. saw one on Ebuyer D-link card 32bit 22mb for a very cheap price of £7.67 plus post .. would this do the trick or is there a better one on Ebuyer...??

mgmcc 12:46 29 Nov 05

Power everything off, including the modem, connect the router to the Cable Modem by ethernet cable and the PC to the router by ethernet cable. The existing cable between the PC and the modem (whether USB or ethernet) should be disconnected. Power on the cable modem and wait for the four green lights, then power on the router, wait a minute or so to ensure the router has booted fully, then finally boot the PC.

You should now be able to type the router's IP address into a web browser and access its "Setup" pages. If you do go for the Buffalo router, it is extremely easy to set up for a wireless connection.

<<< saw one on Ebuyer D-link card 32bit 22mb for a very cheap price of £7.67 plus post .. would this do the trick or is there a better one on Ebuyer...? >>>

That's a strange card. It's based on the older 802.11b (11Mbps) standard, but enhanced to run at double speed and I'm not sure what else would be compatible with that "non-standard" speed.

I use this Belkin PCMCIA card with the Buffalo router - click here - and also this Belkin USB WiFi adapter - click here - both work very well.

One consideration with the USB adapter is that to take advantage of its 54Mbps speed, it needs to run from a USB 2.0 port. A USB 1.1 port transfers data at 12Mbps which would restrict the adapter's performance. This isn't an issue for internet access, unless using a 10Mbps connection, but is significant if transferring large files between computers in a network.

bigboab y 14:33 29 Nov 05

Brilliant stuff here MGM... much obliged.. the gate is now open.... :-) Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…