Wireless networking in Linux (Ubuntu)

HighTower 01:25 24 Dec 06

Anyone managed to get their wireless network card working in the Ubuntu distro of Linux? If so any tips as I'm having no luck with mine!

dms05 07:50 24 Dec 06

Quote from a Linux forum:

Every release of Ubuntu includes an updated kernel with more device support than the one before. Being a change addict I always update when new releases come out. IMHO, If you have hardware that's not directly supported by an older Ubuntu release, upgrade to the latest. WiFi support in particular continues to expand with each release.

and.....

The *.inf file is the one you need to install in ndiswrapper. Try downloading a fresh one from the manufacturer's website. SOmetimes that helps.

The *.sys file needs to be available in the same directory as the *.inf file, but it's the *.inf file you install. ndiswrapper -i /path-to-/*.inf

.....I'm a newbie and managed to get two different Broadcom cards working on 2 different laptops first time using (a) the latest release of PCLinuxOS and (b) the recommended drivers from the ndiswrapper web site. One was in fact a Dell driver.

HighTower 10:30 24 Dec 06

I'll give it a go. It's the last thing I need before Linux is 100% running on the machine, and I really like it so far. I think that Windows' days could be numbered in my household!

Thanks again.

LastChip 13:13 24 Dec 06

My limited understanding of this issue leads me to believe you need to use (as dms05 says) the ndiswrapper wrapper. You then use your normal Windows drivers within the wrapper.

But don't take this as gospel. It is a common question and you will find lots of support in the Ubuntu forums on this subject.

TomG 10:51 27 Dec 06

Hi
I've tried wireless networking with linux - I've tried with various distros with no success, the people on the linux forums are generally really helpful especially to newbies - but prepare yourself for the long haul, it's not as easy as doing it with windows because you have to make sure you have all the various dependants (unlike windows just obtaining the file you want isn't the end of it), personally i never got it to work (but i have a linux machine connected by an ethernet cable and I must say Linux is good).

Good Luck!!

HighTower 12:09 27 Dec 06

Thanks to all for their replies.

I will carry on with this and doubtless get it sussed in due course! I got to the stage where the card was detected, indeed it even found my wireless network and a couple of others in the nearby vicinity, but at the moment it just can't seem to connect to the web.

I'm nine tenths there, and I'll get it eventually, but I'm happy living with it for now using wired ethernet, although long term I'll need to have wireless working on it or there is little point in using it on a laptop.

Re: Linux, and Ubuntu in particular, I find it a very good operating system and would encourage all to at least take a look at it. I will be forced to stick with a copy of Windows at least until Adobe release Linux versions of their Creative Suite, but come that day I can honestly say I will jump ship. And I imagine that I won't be the only one!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…