Wireless Networking - Help with where to begin

webber_man 19:17 06 Feb 05

Hi - may seem a silly question to some, and i do in fact have a bit of an idea, but just so everything's covered i thought i'd ask.

I am wanting to connect 3 computers at home so they can all share files and the broadband internet connection. I currently have a broadband connection through Pipex.

The PC's i have are 1) HP Pavilion t430.uk desktop which i want to use as the main computer.
2) an HP NX9005 laptop, and 3) a Packard Bell iConnect 1250 desktop.

Using the HP T430 i want to connect directly to my broadband connection and then set up a wireless network so the other desktop and laptop can access the internet, and also share with each other.

Can someone please advise what exactly i need to set this up? None on my PC's have wireless cards/connectors at the moment. I currently connect through a BB modem.

Please explain in simple terms what i require and what is the most cost effective way of doing this.
Also, what kind of connection speeds can i expect to get connecting this way?

Thanks.

JonnyTub 19:20 06 Feb 05
  webber_man 22:03 06 Feb 05

Any recommedations on what type of router etc. to get that will do the job?

Haggismuncheruk 22:13 06 Feb 05

I use a bt voyager 2100 modem/wireless router which came in a package for a £100 (PC WORLD it comes with the PCMCIA card for the laptop and a pci card for a normal desktop pc, the router also has 4 network 10\100 base connections for direct connection, it also came with 2 adsl filters, i thought it was a pretty good deal.

JaßîsFaß ˜ 22:14 06 Feb 05

I would recommend a NetGear DG834G wireless router, but DLink, Belkin and Linksys are also good makes. Might be useful to check with ISP if they support certain makes/models.

Get Wireless Adaptors or wireless USB adaptors same make as the router if possible.

webber_man 01:09 07 Feb 05

I already have a modem for my broadband connection - is it better to get a combined router/access point/modem or just a router/access point?

Also, could someone please explain the pro's and con's of each of the below products?

click here

click here

click here

Thanks

webber_man 00:51 10 Feb 05

...anyone??!

HXP 01:15 10 Feb 05

I used Belkin - very good kit & free helpline to set up which is excellent

HXP

Rioja 11:45 10 Feb 05

If your present bb modem only has usb connectivity it will need to be ditched, if it has ethernet connectivity you will be able to make use of it and save yourself some money.

Of your three links:

1) This is a combined wireless access point/router/adsl modem. This is what you need if your existing modem is usb only.

2) This is a combined wireless access point/router with NO modem. You can only use this if your present modem has ethernet connectivity.

3) This is a wireless access point ONLY. This is to add wireless connectivity to an existing wired network.

Regards,

Rioja

webber_man 13:32 10 Feb 05

Ahhhhh..... all makes sense now. I see the light!

Thanks for the advice. Cheers.

webber_man 13:59 10 Feb 05

Okee...this is what i have down to get...

click here

click here

click here

...... is this all i'll need to set up? As Rioja rightly stated i currently have a USB BB modem.

...and one last question - click here is this a major improvlent over the NETGEAR DG834G model? I we use the net loads and download music, clips etc.

Cheers again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…