Wireless networking help please.

Legolas 10:22 27 Jun 03

I have an NTL Broadband connection via a broadband modem and a simple two computer network using a router and two ethernet cards and a length of straight through cable.

I am now toying with the idea of changing to a wireless network can anyone give me some advice as to what I need and how to set it up.

Legolas 13:40 27 Jun 03

bump

basell 19:08 27 Jun 03

I originally purchased a wireless system NTL recommends on their wed page cost £140. When it arrived and I read the specifications it was not what I had expected so I returned it. It would only transfer data at 10 Mb per second so I purchased a crossover cable and kit £30 that transfers data at 100 Mb per second. I?m totally happy with the system and it is obviously faster.

Forum Editor 19:34 27 Jun 03

and welcome to the wonderful Digital World of wireless networking.

This is my ideal setup for your configuration:

1. Draytek Vigor 2200WE wireless access point and router - particularly suitable for NTL cable modems.

2. A couple of Draytek Vigor 510 USB external wireless adapters.

That's all you'll need - simply install the USB adapters and connect the NTL modem to the 2200WE. Run the software, configure the network, and away you go. The setup is very simple, and the software will do it all for you.

Overall cost? About £250 +VAT

You can explore the hardware (and order online) if you
click here

Good luck, and don't hesitate to come back to the thread if you need more information/help.

Other forum members may have alternative setups to recommend - my suggestions are based on my own experience.

Micken 20:46 27 Jun 03

Give reasons for going wifi.Adding more computers to your system? Do you need mobility? Want to use in different rooms that are nor cabled? Outside for example? How do you want your system to serve you?
Options are plentiful, could be cheaper and easier.

Good luck.

Micken

Despicable Desperado 01:37 28 Jun 03

Micken

Legolas does not have to justify why he needs wireless, he only needs our help in setting it up.

basell

As ntl is only 600k why would you return it - 10mb (actually 11mbs) is a hell of a lot faster than they can supply.

Legolas

Also try netgear - they do 11mbs and 54mbs kit - and rate tops in a lot of reviews

Legolas 10:26 28 Jun 03

I am not really wanting to do remote computing my reason for thinking about wifi is to rid myself of the cable.

Can I have a wireless router that can also be wired via patch 5 cable to an ordinary ethernet card in my host machine and a wireless pci card in the client machine?

Forum Editor 10:41 28 Jun 03

that I recommended can do exactly that Legolas,it has a 10/100BASET switch hub built in - one of the reasons it's so appropriate. You can use it with wired or wireless network components.

Legolas 10:47 28 Jun 03

Thanks FE. The point I am unclear about is do I need a wireless pci card in both computers or just in the client computer.

jazzypop 11:56 28 Jun 03

click here for a very good site for NTL networking, wired or wireless.

Don't ignore other products apart from the Draytek. As an example, the Netgear FM114P allows wired and wireless connections to PCs, is a 'true' firewall (not just NAT), and crucially, has a print server built-in. This allows you to connect your printer (via parallel cable) to the router, so that it is always available.

With the Draytek, and many other routers, you can only print if the PC to which the printer is connected is switched on. A fairly pointless setup for just two PCs - you may as well just do a wireless ICS setup, and save the cost of the router.

jazzypop 11:57 28 Jun 03

Sorry, I forgot the link for the Netgear router. Go to dabs.com, search for quicklinx 22ZVWS

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009