Wireless Networking Hell!! Can anybody help?

happymonkey 11:14 14 Feb 08

I would appreciate any help from the technical gurus on the forums. I bought a laptop of Ebay for my young niece (Compaq Evo N600c). I have an old Netgear wireless USB adaptor that I was going to give to her too. I have tried setting it up at my home first and I am getting nowhere.

The adaptor is working fine on another laptop so I know it's not that. I have taken off encryption on my Sky router too. The Sky router is showing as available in the Wireless network connection box but if I select it and click connect, nothing happens. The pop up box just reappears saying wireless networks available. It's my nieces birthday tomorrow and I wanted to have it all up and running for her.

Any thoughts guys?
Tony

rossgolf 11:25 14 Feb 08

can you give us some laptop specs
os
?

happymonkey 11:48 14 Feb 08

Hi Ross,

The laptop is a Compaq Evo N600c running Windows Xp professional. The network adaptor is a Netgear MA101 USB.

happymonkey 15:10 14 Feb 08

Bump,

Anyone?

MAJ 15:17 14 Feb 08

Is the adapter working okay on the other laptop when you're using your connection or is it working okay on the other laptop using another connection?

happymonkey 18:44 16 Feb 08

Maj, the adaptor works fine on another laptop using the same connection. I'm ready to throw the laptop through the window. I have been trawling the net for 4 days trying to find a solution. I have downloaded a trial version of Network Magic and it finds the wireless network straight away and sais the signal is excellent, but when I click on the connect button it comes up with a list of possible reasons why it can't connect. including a weak signal, security features enabled on the router ( I have switched the security off).

I really am at the end of my tether and don't know what to try next. I would really appreciate any help offered.

Regards
Tony

2neat 19:49 16 Feb 08

I would use the PC card slot and fit a proper wi-fi card. Dropping security on router is not the answer.
Good luck & let us know how you get on

Ashrich 20:52 16 Feb 08

Are you using the latest available drivers with this adapter ? These are the latest I can find , click here , try letting Windows manage the connection as well , usually makes a better job of it than the Netgear Utilities . Only use WEP with htis adapter , it won't be able to cope with WPA ( at least I don't think so , you could try if you have service pack 2 installed for XP ) .

Ashley

Ashrich 20:59 16 Feb 08

To let Windows XP manage your wireless connection , go to start/settings/network connections/ select wireless adapter , right click , select " properties " middle tab " wireless networks " tick the box that says " Allow Windows to configure my wireless networks " ( or words to that effect ) Ok back to desktop , double click on wireless icon ( single screen with cross through it ) allow to scan for networks , select yours , enter security key if enabled , click on " connect " .

Ashley

happymonkey 10:26 17 Feb 08

Update!!

Firstly, can I thank you all for the replies. I have tried everything to get it to connect to my Sky router, including the steps outlined in Ashley's post, but to no avail. Last night however, I went to my cousin's who has Virgin cable broadband and guess what, it connected straight away. I came back home and tried it again but it still will not connect to the Sky router. My Dell laptop however connects flawlessly.

I have taken 12 parecetemol over the last couple of days but the headaches continue. Any more advice guys?

zit 16:16 17 Feb 08

Have you checked that your sky router is allowing the new laptops MAC address to use it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…