Wireless networking - dummy requires assistance!

Eagie 22:17 06 Sep 04

I have a wireless broadband router that is connected via a cable to my desktop and wirelessly to my laptop. Sharing the internet connection is no problem but I can't seem to get the two computers to see each other on a network so they can share files and a printer.

I am sure that it is dead easy but I can't seem to get my head round it at the moment. Can someone please let me know what I need to do (it reasonably simple terms!)?

Both machines are running XP pro (have tried using the wizard but it loses the Internet connection on my desktop).

Thanks,

James

johnsims 22:26 06 Sep 04

When you say you have tried using the wizard, did you create a floppy from the desktop and then take the floppy to the laptop and run the netsetup.exe file on it?

woodt 22:27 06 Sep 04

are you using any software firewalls?

woodt 22:32 06 Sep 04

With both machines running XP Pro it should not be necessary to create a floppy. When using the wizard make sure you select the option that says something like...this computer connects to the internet via a gateway. Also select 'ignore diconnected items' or something like that. Also look under My Network Places and then Network Connections, if there is a bridge there delete it.

woodt 22:34 06 Sep 04

This website might help click here

Eagie 12:35 07 Sep 04

Thanks for the help. Your faith with the networking wizards prompted me to try it again, along with running the wireless wizard.

All seems to be operational - maybe the problem I previously was rectified when I installed sp2.

Cheers,

Jmes

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…