Wireless Networking - Can it be painless?

Mark-323050 14:32 26 Jul 04

I'm going to attempt to set up a wireless network at home. This will consist of 2 desktops & 1mbit broadband connection.
What I need to know is "what do I buy".
When go eshopping I see names like "router", "ports", "ethernet" to name but only a few and it's very confusing. I have some experience in computing but none in networking and Im frightened of naking an expensive mistake.
Both desktops should be able to share the broadband connection but not be reliant upon another computer being switched on to be so?
Firewall/s - whereabouts do I put them or can I stick to my copy of zonealarm on individual machines?
So many questions?

Any direction or help please?

cheers
picleo

Charence 14:59 26 Jul 04

You will need an ADSL Router which will connect to the internet via BB modem and share it among the networked computers. The firewalls will need to be installed on each of the networked computers. Each computer will also need a wireless network card (NIC).

Recommendations:

WiFi Router - Netgear MR814 / WGR614 OR Belkin 802.11g Wireless DSL/Cable Gateway Router F5D7230uk4 OR Belkin ADSL Modem With Built-In 11g Wireless Router F5D7630uk4A

WiFi NIC - Netgear WG311 OR Belkin 802.11g Wireless Desktop Network Card F5D7000uk

It will be cheaper to buy from Savastore.com or Ebuyer.com

Charence

Virtuosity 15:08 26 Jul 04

I did a similar setup. I used a Netgear DG834G ADSL modem/router click here and two Netgear WG311 PCI wireless network cards click here.

Brian-336451 15:22 26 Jul 04

In fairness, it can. Like everything, there is a learning curve. I knew absolutely zilch about it and had a wireless connection up and running in about 20 minutes.

I bought a DLink 624 wireless router connected to a cable modem.

I basically accepted all the defaults and lo and behold it worked. The set up screens were not too bad,but it would be a really GOOD idea to read through some of the articles available after an average Google search or better still the pdf files that generally come with the hardware.

Yes it can be frustrating at times but what can't to do with computing.

It amuses me, we're obsessed with faster everything but one wonders what we DO with the time we 'save'. Hmmm

Good luck.

Sitting in the living room watching the television etc while being on line is quite a nice experience I must say, plus the wife doesn't feel so 'deserted'. Got to be worth it just for that (less damage to the eardrums!!)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…