Wireless Networking with Broadband

cthooli 01:38 13 Aug 05

At the moment i've got a Desktop PC running ME with ISDN and a USB1.1 Wireless Network adapter. Then i've got a laptop running XP Home with a PCMCIA network card. They connect fine. I use the printer connected to the desktop pc. can file share and the isdn connection is shared fine. now i've got bt coming in to set up a 2MBs broadband connection and they've said we need to buy a hub 99.99 to connect the upstairs laptop to broadband. That seems quite a lot when i see them advertised on amazon for 60 quid with free usb dongle for the laptop. i'm just looking for clarifcation really! if the laptop is connected directly to the hub i suppose it doesnt need the pc on downstairs? but what happens to my network link with the downstiars pc? its all a bit confusin! any help would be great!!!

Forum Editor 08:00 13 Aug 05

is to run a wireless modem/router combination connected to the BT broadband telephone socket - then each of the computers would have access to the broadband service without the necessity for the other machine to be running.

If you don't mind having both machines running then you don't need to buy anything - you certainly do not need a £99.99 BT hub.

cthooli 11:32 13 Aug 05

so the existing network will be able to cope with the broadband speed and rate?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…