Wireless Networking advice

Hetti 19:56 15 Oct 04

I'm going to buy Wireless networking kit tomorrow, any ideas on make/ease of setup gratefully recieved, when to Currys today it was awaste of time assistant had less idea than me.
I need to connect 2 maybe three PC'S.
Do i need to take any info about my PC to the store?
Also is there a Networking kit that does not need main PC to be online for 2nd PC to access internet

SEASHANTY 20:24 15 Oct 04

Some links on this previous PCA thread
click here
. To allow independent use of the PC's you would be better connecting them via a router. Also your type of connection is important. BB cable/dsl routers connect to the cable modem. ADSL line setup a router will most likely include the ADSL modem.

Hetti 21:27 15 Oct 04

Thanks SEASHANTY

As a complete non techi i would like to ask you ......
I have B/Band via Telewest so I need an ADSL/router right?
Both PC'S have network cards.
And which connection do you mean the one on the back of PC'S?, ie USB.

I have looked at the threads

Thanks again

VoG II 21:33 15 Oct 04

You don't need a combined ADSL modem/Router. Just a router. The connection wire from the blueyonder modem goes into the router and you connect a cable between the PC that was attached to the modem to the router. That PC should now be able to connect via the router.

You then add cards as necessary to the PCs.

I found PC World staff quite knowledgable (no laughing!!).

SEASHANTY 10:29 16 Oct 04

Telewest Broadband is cable NOT ADSL (ADSL links to the telephone line). As VOG says all you need is a router. I am on NTL BB but use the wired system router - not wireless - it's the Linksys
Cable/DSL router BEFSR41 which is a four port router with switch. Cannot advise you on which wireless one to use - there are more than one of them - you will have to make a choice. This BEFSR41 has never failed in the two years I have been using it to link two PC's to the net. I have now added a third PC.

SEASHANTY 13:12 16 Oct 04

Wireless setup you will need something like the
wireless G BB router from Linksys
click here. The main PC can be directly linked to this router via a straight through RJ45 Cat5 Lan cable (ethernet).
Plus you will need a Linksys Wireless G PCI adaptor for each of the other two PC's to connect
to the Router (access point). Click on the link to Amazon to get an idea of the prices. Probably
around £150 for the three items. A wired system
would be cheaper. All you need then is an ordinary BB router plus three RJ45 patch (straight through) cables. There is less loss of signal in a wired system. Two of my cables are 15M and 20M.

SEASHANTY 13:20 16 Oct 04

As you are also on Telewest Blueyonder BB you could maybe glean some knowledge from Robin Walkers webpages. He gives some very interesting
info on cable Broadband networking
click here

Hetti 11:35 17 Oct 04

Ive got all info its action stations to day
Im installing it after lunch ( i hope) lol

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…