Wireless networking

IanNiblock 13:05 25 Jul 03

I am looking to set up a wireless network (primarily to share a broadband connection) and would like some advice on where to start.

My setup at home at the moment is a cable modem (NTL) plugged into a desktop via USB. I would like to share this with my Centrino laptop - I understand from the documentation that this laptop should be 'wireless LAN ready'. Does anyone know what equipment I will need to buy in order to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance

Ian.

Forum Editor 13:16 25 Jul 03

"wireless LAN ready" is one that doesn't necessarily mean what you think it means.

To work with a wireless network a laptop must have a wireless connection card installed, and this is commonly something that slips into the PCMCIA card slot. Check your laptop specification very carefully before you assume that it doesn't need something like this.

Apart from that, all you'll need to share the connection is either a wireless access point - which is basically a base station that connects to the main PC and broadcasts to anything within range - or an ADSL router. The router is a device that connects directly to the broadband modem, and to which you can connect other computers - wirelessly, or via the conventional LAN ports that are provided for cable LAN access.

The main advantage to using a router is that the broadband connection is distributed directly from it to any other computers - there's no need to leave a 'gateway' computer running at all times.

IanNiblock 13:28 25 Jul 03

The laptop I have is click here (with extra RAM)

This review states that the laptop has "wireless LAN facilities" and there is a button on the front that when pressed puts a message on the screen saying Wireless Networking On/Off so I think the Wireless network card is not necessary?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…