Wireless networking

mdshamilton 22:43 05 Jul 03

I've been watching the wireless networking hardware industry for the past year and am interested in installing a wireless network at home to connect 2 PCs on different floors together as well as linking my dad's laptop to the net when he visits. I also want to connect my IPaq to the wireless network.

So far the most appealing is the US Robotics wireless kit 802.11g that boasts that they can double the g speed of 55Mbps to 100Mbps. Does anyone understand how this is possible and whether their claims are accurate? See here for the product: click here

Will PC Advisor ever get around to reviewing the plethora of hardware out there?

Finally, my Ipaq is getting a bit old and I need to trade up. Will PC Advisor be updating it's PDA reviews sometime soon?

LastChip 23:06 05 Jul 03

First, you cannot double the speed of 55Mbts to 100. The laws of physics wont allow it!

I think what they are saying is, that all the quoted speeds can be used simultaneously.

So for example, if you had an internet connection at 55Mbts and (at the same time) you were transferring a data file from one machine to another, each speed could be used together. One for the internet and the other for data transfer, but the sources of each would be different.

mdshamilton 13:05 07 Jul 03

LastChip - I think you are probably right. Perhaps this is an example of the power of misleading marketing? Quote from USR's press release below:

?The advantage of the U.S. Robotics 802.11g Wireless Turbo product line is our exclusive Accelerator Technology, which provides users with 54 Mbps accelerated to 100 Mbps performance,? said Tony Field, Product Marketing Manager U.S. Robotics. The new U.S. Robotics 802.11g Wireless Turbo portfolio of products with 100 Mbps Accelerator Technology is actually capable of delivering data throughput nearly double that of other 802.11g products. Unlike other announced high-speed networking technologies, U.S. Robotics makes the most out of network capacity by placing all the speed on a single channel.

SEASHANTY 17:11 07 Jul 03

There is a review and feature article on Wireless Networking, including 802.11g in the current issue of "PC PRO" magazine. That's the August 2003 edition.

mdshamilton 10:58 18 Jul 03

Now that an 802.11g standard has been formally approved, does anyone have views/recommendations as to who's kit I should buy? I'll also we installing a wireless router in a friend's home for his laptop and desktop to share a cable connection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…