Wireless Networking

Gary1979 16:13 02 Mar 03

I have recently bought a new laptop which runs on Windows XP. I also have a home PC which runs on Windows ME and this PC is set-up on Broadband internet. How can I set up my home PC as a Host and my laptop as a Guest so I can access Broadband internet anywhere in my home on my laptop? I have purchased 2 Wireless adaptors (as recommended by the expert in PC World), but I can't set them up using the Windows Network Wizard. Does it make any difference that my main PC is running on an older version of Windows than my laptop?

SEASHANTY 16:35 02 Mar 03

See if the info on website <click here>
has the answer to your problems.

Gary1979 16:42 02 Mar 03

Thanks, I will have a read through that.

I have purchased 2 Netgear Wireless USB Adaptors, is this all I need to connect my home PC to the Laptop to run NTL Broadband on my laptop?

SEASHANTY 16:57 02 Mar 03

Regretabbly the website I gave before does not give the associated links which are on this page
<click here> Use
the appropriate redirection link accordingly.

SEASHANTY 17:08 02 Mar 03

I am using NTL 600 BB on a standalone cable modem
with two computers both running Windows XP. I did
consider wireless networking but decided that the
cost of a wireless router and 2 wireless network
cards to be prohibitive. Therefore I have used the Linksys BEFSR41 ordinary 4 port router and CAT5 straight thru cable to connect the ethernet cards in both PC's. NTL cable modems note the MAC address of your initial connection and remember this each time you connect to their server. USB connectyions are more difficult as I believe there are sometimes probs with the drivers reqd. You do not need drivers with ethernet cards. Best info on NTL is from the
Robin D. H. Walker website which covers networking in detail. This website address is
<click here> Happy reading and I wish you all success.

mikeyb59 17:14 02 Mar 03

I would echo SEASHANTY's post regarding the website.

I have wirelessly networked two pc's and a laptop using NTL BB.

It can be a little tricky to get it going but after that its great!

Forum Editor 17:16 02 Mar 03

on the machine with WindowsXP, and take the option to create a floppy disk for use with other machines. Then run the floppy on your Windows ME machine to set it up to network (and share the internet connection) with the laptop.

Gary1979 17:23 02 Mar 03

Will that work though if I only have XP on my laptop? I thought that I would need to run the Wizard on the PC with NTL BB to start with, and this machine only has Windows ME.

happymonkey 19:26 02 Mar 03

I have win98se on host and xp on laptop. Telewest bb is connected to host by usb. I also have 2 netgear wireless adaptors. I have finally got the thing sorted.You have to enable Internet connection sharing on the host computer, switch off firewalls on both computers until set up.

happymonkey 19:27 02 Mar 03

I have win98se on host and xp on laptop. Telewest bb is connected to host by usb. I also have 2 netgear wireless adaptors. I have finally got the thing sorted.You have to enable Internet connection sharing on the host computer, switch off firewalls on both computers until set up.

Gary1979 19:44 02 Mar 03

It doesn't look like my Wireless Adaptor is being found by my laptop, any ideas how I can check this? Everything looks fine on my home PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…