wireless networking

pinnicat 00:22 06 Dec 08

I have bought a laptop to go with my inhouse desktop and would like to know what I need to get the two systems set up on the same internet connection.
I have virgin media through a lan modem.
The laptop is wifi enabled.
Thanks guys and gals.

ambra4 02:07 06 Dec 08

You need to install a Wireless Cable /DSL Router

D-Link Wireless G Cable /DSL Router with 4 port switch

click here

Strawballs 03:59 06 Dec 08

click here Any one of these will do the trick.

pinnicat 11:29 06 Dec 08

Good stuff. Thank you.
The prices are a bit sharper than those "Instore"
I guess I shall need a USB wireless card for my desktop.?
It's a 15 month old Compaq Pressario?

ambra4 12:08 06 Dec 08

“I guess I shall need a USB wireless card for my desktop.?”

There is no need to make the desktop wireless

Leave the desktop hard wired to the router via one of the lan port on the router and connect the

laptop wireless

It is strongly recommended by All router suppliers that you use a physically connected cable

to the Router via a Ethernet RJ45 cable for router setup.

Using a wireless connected computer for setup is Not recommended to access router setup at any

time.

The PC hard wire to the router does not have to be on for the wireless system to work

Once the router is on all wireless devices should have local and Internet access

With a hard wire system the LAN card connect speed is 100Mbps

The normal connect speed on a laptop build in wireless card or USB adapter is 54Mbps on older

laptops with build in wireless cards the connect speed is 11Mbps

The wireless system connect speed can verity between 1Mbps -54Mbps depending on the

distance, amount and thickness of walls between the computer and the router

You should not have both the LAN and Wireless on the same PC connect at the same time

pinnicat 12:30 06 Dec 08

Gotcha !!
That should be all I need folks.
Thank you very much.
I shall leave the topic open for now amnd will close once I have all set up and running.
Cheers all.

ambra4 12:59 06 Dec 08

Some advice on how to Connect a Cable Modem to the Router

You have to power off all the equipment the Cable Modem, which must be left without power

for 10 minutes, the Router and the computer

This is IMPORTANT so that it loses the association between the existing connections
]
(recognised by its MAC address) and the IP address that it has allocated to the computer

Connect an Ethernet Cable between the router's WAN Port and the Cable Modem's Ethernet Port.

Connect a second Ethernet Cable between the PC's lan card port and Port 1 of the Router's LAN Ports

Power on the Cable Modem when fully booted with all lights displayed

Power on the Router when the router is fully up and running

Power on the computer and wait until it is fully booted up

The Cable Modem will allocate a new IP address to the router

Now launch your web browser and type the Router's IP address access code, which you will find

in the manual, into the browser URL address bar

This will open the configuration pages to set up the router and wireless networking.

Once the router setup is completed and you have SAVE the setting log out and close browser

Reboot the Router by power it off and back on and wait 1-2 Min’s until fully rebooted

You should see 5 green lights showing on Router

The 2 displays Icon should be in the task bar-Right Click-Status-Support

What you should see is the following:

Address Type: Assigned by DHCP

IP Address 192.186.1.XXX which is the Computer IP Address

Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway 192.168.X.X which is the router IP Address

If you click the Detail button you will see a lot more information the WINS Server is always blank

You should now be able to browse the Internet

If you have any blank spaces (Gateway, IP address etc) you need to recheck the Router Setup

and Lan Card setting

All router have a reset button at the back of the router, which will reset the router back to the

factory default setting if required

It is sometimes desirable to reboot the router by Power it off and back on by removing the power

cable if you cannot access the Internet or find that access is very slow this will allow the router to

refresh the setting from your ISP servers

Once you have Internet access via the hard wire system you can than work on getting the laptop

to access the router via the wireless system on the laptop

Strawballs 22:37 06 Dec 08

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac