Wireless networking

Tennille 18:46 06 Jan 08

I recently bought a lap top which is wireless enabled. When I bought the lap top, I was under the impression that I would also need to buy a wireless adaptor in order to pick up a wireless broadband signal (and that ideally I should get one recommended by my ISP). Is anyone able to confirm whether this is true or not?

The reason I ask is that I am currently using wireless broadband at home without any adaptor, from a wireless router. Is it perhaps the case that if I want to pick up a signal outside, then I need an adaptor? In other words, are there any circumstances in which I would require an adaptor?

And if I don't require an adaptor, then in what circumstances is a wireless adaptor required? Can any computer be converted to be wireless enabled with an adaptor? Even older models?

Sorry to be asking such basic questions but am confused!!

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Kemistri 19:00 06 Jan 08

"....are there any circumstances in which I would require an adaptor?"

No, unless you happen to want to connect to a router using something other than an 802.11g (54Mbits per sec) protocol with an existing adapter that does not support 802.11n-derived protocols.

Strawballs 01:14 07 Jan 08

If your laptop is wireless enabled then it should connect to your router via it's own built in adapter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…