Wireless Networking

louiek 10:26 12 Jul 06

Hi! I am trying to set up a Linksys wireless Gateway for a friend who connects to the internet using ADSL. I have set up wireless routers before with no problem at all but cannot figure out what keeps happening here! Basically, when I try to access the router through the standard IP address (192.168.1.1) and the computer is connected directly to the router IE will not have it at all. It keeps saying that I need to connect to the internet first etc. etc. and will not just go to the IP address for the router.

As a result I cannot change the settings on the router and set up security. Can anyone help me - maybe some quick tips on setting up an ADSL gateway as previously I have set up using regular cable/DSL router which doesn't have to dial up first. Thank you!

louiek 10:39 12 Jul 06

Hi - sorry, forgot to mention - when I connect to the router via my own laptop everything is fine - I can access it fine and change the settings. I just can't figure out why their computer won't connect to it?

Taff™ 12:24 12 Jul 06

In IE Tools>Options Connections Tab and select "Never Dial a Connection"

Taff™ 12:28 12 Jul 06

You may need to run the network connection wizard from control panel. Select "Ignore disconnected hardware" and then "Connect through a residential gateway" (Second Option) When you`ve finished you need to reboot the computer.

louiek 12:56 12 Jul 06

Thanks for that - will try this and hope all works ok!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…