Wireless networking

loopyloo 17:15 18 Jan 06

I am wishing to purchase a laptop computer. I already have a desktop computer with NTL broadband. The cable modem is in the lounge because it used to be in the digi box but now a stand alone modem. My desktop computer is in another room downstairs. I don't know anything about wireless networking but want to purchase a laptop so I can use anywhere in the home for the internet. What do I need and do I need a different modem or equipment. The broadband modem uses the ethernet connection. Do the two computers link uptogether to use the same network. Any help would be appreciated

Mitul123 17:21 18 Jan 06

im using a router called NETGEAR for my laptop and my desktop pc wirelessly so you can be on the internet on both computers simultaneously. i have the internet from my set-top box(digi box) . i have found that NETGEAR is a use full router but im not quite sure if i can network the 2 pcs as i am quite new to the router.

The Kestrel 17:35 18 Jan 06

You will need a wireless router to connect to the modem in downstairs room. If your laptop comes with a wireless card, as most new laptops do now, then you will be able to connect to the internet via the router. You could also by a USB wireless adapter for your desktop, and this would enable you to connect to the internet through the desktop too. USB adapters are quite inexpensive now, some less than £20 click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…