Wireless Networking

bantam1982 12:02 18 Jan 06

Hi All.......Any help on this would be greatly appreciated...have read many of the threads on this but it hasnt helped !

I have 2 machines....1 router and 2 wireless network cards...

On the machine (1) with the router it connects happily via infrastructure mode to the net...However it won't recognise the 2nd PC...and can't access the shared files...(when pc 2 is in infrastructure mode) but does when machine 2 is in ad hoc mode

On the 2nd PC in infrastructure mode I can access the internet....but not shared files...

In Ad Hoc Mode I can access the shared files but NOT the internet !!!

Can someone please throw any light on this as its driving me insane, I want to connect via infrasture mode so I don't have to keep switching between the 2 !

Thanks !

mgmcc 13:44 18 Jan 06

It could be a "firewall" problem. When connected in Infrastructure mode, the WiFi adapters will be getting their IP addresses by DHCP from the router, probably in a 192.168.x.x subnet. However, when you change to Ad Hoc mode, the adapters will communicate directly with one another and there will be no DHCP server to allocate their IP addresses. Normally, Windows would default to allocating APIPA (Automatic Private IP Addressing) addresses in the 169.254.x.x range. If your firewall software has been configured to allow local network traffic with APIPA range addresses, but not 192.168.x.x ranges, this could cause the situation you describe.

bantam1982 17:01 18 Jan 06

Thanks !!!! it worked - I was looking at my wrong security !!! cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…