wireless networking

didums 17:00 27 Jul 05

I have two pc,s on a wired router,I would like to use my new notebook(wireless) to connect to one of these machines,can I do this without having to buy a new wireless router ,if it can what do I need,Thankyou

Taff36 17:19 27 Jul 05

Which make and model of laptop? If it has an 10/100 ethernet port for an RJ-45 cable you can do it using cable.

If one of the computers has a wireless card installed you can make an ad hoc connection. If not You will probably be able to do it by putting a USB wireless adapter into one of the PC`s (Cost about £25) but again it`s ad hoc.

What OS are on the other two computers? Wait for more advice anyway. click here for background reading on ad hoc networking.

click here for a brilliant simple guide for all systems.

martjc 17:55 27 Jul 05

...Assuming you want to be able to use the laptop wirelessly without the other machines being switched on, you will need a wireless router which can daisy chain from your existing wired one. Pay close attention to the type you need. If your present router is a cable modem, then you will need a compatible wireless one to add on. I suggest you ask at your wired router's maker's site for advice.

jonawill 18:14 27 Jul 05

Ihave a similar set up and I connected to my wired network just using a wireless access point connected to my router. I suggest you buy an access point of the same brand as your router. If you Laptop does not have wifi built in you will need a wireless PCMIA card. I have a 3COM access point and router and it was very easy to set up

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…