wireless networking

didums 17:00 27 Jul 05

I have two pc,s on a wired router,I would like to use my new notebook(wireless) to connect to one of these machines,can I do this without having to buy a new wireless router ,if it can what do I need,Thankyou

Taff36 17:19 27 Jul 05

Which make and model of laptop? If it has an 10/100 ethernet port for an RJ-45 cable you can do it using cable.

If one of the computers has a wireless card installed you can make an ad hoc connection. If not You will probably be able to do it by putting a USB wireless adapter into one of the PC`s (Cost about £25) but again it`s ad hoc.

What OS are on the other two computers? Wait for more advice anyway. click here for background reading on ad hoc networking.

click here for a brilliant simple guide for all systems.

martjc 17:55 27 Jul 05

...Assuming you want to be able to use the laptop wirelessly without the other machines being switched on, you will need a wireless router which can daisy chain from your existing wired one. Pay close attention to the type you need. If your present router is a cable modem, then you will need a compatible wireless one to add on. I suggest you ask at your wired router's maker's site for advice.

jonawill 18:14 27 Jul 05

Ihave a similar set up and I connected to my wired network just using a wireless access point connected to my router. I suggest you buy an access point of the same brand as your router. If you Laptop does not have wifi built in you will need a wireless PCMIA card. I have a 3COM access point and router and it was very easy to set up

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…