wireless networking

david s 22:06 14 Feb 05

I am trying to network two computers and to use common broadband connection.
First question - Can I network one computer with XP and one with 98 or do I have to install XP on the 98 machine

Second question - I was advised to purchase two bluetooth usb adaptors of which are belkin and I find that neither XP or 98 will reconise these adaptors even though I have installed the drivers. I have also a Bluetooth access point & broadband router by Newlink which does not appear to work and indicates when connected to the modem that there is no connection.

I am only a novice so I hope you can someone can help.

Chezdez 22:10 14 Feb 05

theres a networking forum now, use the 'jump to' at the bottom of the forum page, and repost in there, whilst leaving this to die out, cheers

LeadingMNMs 22:12 14 Feb 05

Networking between 98SE and XP shouldn't be a problem, however I'm not sure if it works with plain 98.

I'm really not sure about bluetooth devices, though I am a little confused as to why you were advised to get them. I'd have personally thought that WiFi (802.11x) would have been the better idea.

FelixTCat 22:31 14 Feb 05

The biggest problem with bluetooth is range. All your devices would have to be within 6 feet of one another to have any chance of connection. If it was a store who advised you to use bluetooth, you should be able to get your money back as it is a totally unsuitable solution.

david s 23:06 14 Feb 05

Im sorry to be ignorant but the bluetooth spec on the boxes claim 10 - 100m ranges

toni b 00:07 15 Feb 05
  FelixTCat 09:11 15 Feb 05

david s

Perhaps it does. Achieving it is something else. You have already discovered the first problem with Bluetooth. If you wanted to connect your PDA to the internet, then a Bluetooth connection to a computer which is internet-connected would be a viable solution. What you are proposing is not.

Exchange all our equipment for 802.11g compliant equipment and you stand a chance of success.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…