Wireless networking

  Cloggsy 12:38 13 Oct 04

I want to link together my two home PC's via a wireless link to enable me to used both PC's on my broadband connection & share files/printers etc.

As a 'networking' novice, please can someone advise me what wireless equipment I need, where I can get it from etc?

Any help/info greatly received - Many thanks in advance ;o)

  SEASHANTY 15:57 13 Oct 04
  easyrider 21:10 13 Oct 04

Basicly you need a wireless modem/router plus a wireless card, make sure router and card are same manufacturer. Netgear, Belkin, Lynksys take your pick, I use Netgear but that is my own preference others prefer Belkin or Lynksys. You can get the parts you require from any reasonable computer shop or dabs.com or simply.co.uk

  Cloggsy 12:01 14 Oct 04

Many thanks for your input - I think I'm going to go for the 'crossover' cable route, as there are only 2 machines to network & they're in the same room ;o)

  PsiFox 12:11 14 Oct 04

If you don't want the cable but also do not want a router. 2 wirless NIC's set up in ad-hoc mode will enable you to see both machines. ICS would then allow both access to the internet as long as the machine with the modem is on.


  SEASHANTY 13:53 14 Oct 04

Then you do not need a wireless network if they are both in the same room. A wired system will be quicker. If you want independent access (i.e. just
the one pc connected at any time) then connect both
to a four port non wireless router, such as the Linksys BEFSR41. The setup instructions for this are here click here
Just click on the tech helper link to see what this entails. You do not need to have the router to check this out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017