Wireless networking.

rickf 20:33 22 Apr 04

Hi All,
Bit confused here with all the info that I am reading about going wireless. At present I have a 4 port adsl modem router connected to all my comps by RJ 45s to lan cards. Can I use the same adsl modem router and just install the wireless cards for my comps and one for the modem router or do I have to buy a new wireless modem router plus all necessary wireless cards? Thanks in advance.

johnnyrocker 20:35 22 Apr 04
  rickf 20:57 22 Apr 04

Thanks johnnyrocker. It seems from the Linsky site, I'll just have to buy a wireless router and connect that to my adsl modem and cards for the other comps. I want the process to be as smooth as poss. in setting up so maybe its best to buy a wireless modem router instead of usin my present adsl modem router and all cards from the same manufacturer. Anyone?

rickf 21:03 22 Apr 04

Help!!

lixdexik 21:09 22 Apr 04

But I asked about a home network and got a nice responce from the forum editor. click here

Cheers Lixdexik.

lixdexik 21:12 22 Apr 04

I got pulled up for that one on my very first posting way back when.

Cheers Lixdexik.

keenan 21:28 22 Apr 04

Lots of excellent info on wireless networking given by ' byfordr'

click here

byfordr 22:25 22 Apr 04

click here These are getting ridiculously cheap now! £93!

Something like WG602 would seem to do the job click here click here £62...

I would personally get a all-in-one unit (pay the extra £30, and keep the existing router or flog it) If you are going to get a wireless plug in, I would advise keeping it the same brand as the router, in theory kit should be compatible, in reality this isn't always the case.

Depending whether your pcs are desktops or laptops will determine what sort of wireless adapter you will get. You can save the cost of one of my wireless adapters if you pcs are stationed next to a phoneline, using the networking ports.

Post back if you require any further info...

R

rickf 08:26 23 Apr 04

Thanks all. I am thinking of getting this one hclick here.
What do you think? The reviews from users seem very positive.

byfordr 09:33 23 Apr 04

What make and model is it? Link just came up with a index...

R

TBH1 10:40 23 Apr 04

rickf - please pardon my ignorance. I intend going that route, eventually and have been reading forums like this just for general info. I read somewhere that wireless isn't as secure as hard-wired - -the reason wireless is so popular right now is ease of installation - you ain't gotta route cable all over the house, so can fully understand people choosing wireless. However, it seems to me you have already done the hard-work, the wiring bit, so why are you changing ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…