Wireless Networking

LeadingMNMs 12:21 13 Dec 03

I'm thinking of setting up a wireless network so that both my computers can share our BB connection. I have BT Yahoo BB and connect using the standard external USB modem.

Can this modem be shared or will i need a different modem. I have also looked at using a Router with in built ADSL modem but I am only willing to pay about £100 for this. Does any one have any suggestions for one I could buy.

Finally and most importantly, is it fairly easy to share a BT BB connection, since i have heard some people say that they have had trouble setting one up.

Thanks

This is almost the same as my question. :)

It looks as if we will both have to scrap our USB modems and go for something like the Belkin ADSL modem with built in %$G wireless router.

You can get this from Amazon at the moment for £114.99. I think it's the one that I'll be going for.

If you are using Windows XP then it is supposed to be very easy. I hope so anyway.

I've gone ahead and placed an order with Amazon for the router I said and a USB adapter. Total price just over £146. click here

Morpheus? 12:40 13 Dec 03

you keep the same usb modem, and just add a wireless usb network adaptor if it is a desktop PC or a card if it is a laptop, both from Linsys, or others.

The only problem with that is that the PC with the ADSL connection always has to be switched on for the other one to work.

Forum Editor 11:06 14 Dec 03

although the current crop of routers with modems built in are very good. The big advantage to using a router/modem combination is that you can leave the 'main' PC off and still surf the net on the other machine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…