Wireless Networking

The Ghost of Inept Pig 15:52 26 Oct 03

'lo all,

I've been tasked with the marvellous job of networking two computers (one running XP, the other Windows 98) so they can share a broadband connection.

However, it would also be preferrable if they could be networked wirelessly. Does any one know of the pitfalls of using such methods and any problems that occur in using it, or while setting it up?

Also, any recommendations on what to buy, and where from?

recap 15:57 26 Oct 03

click here for step by step instructions.

AubreyS 16:02 26 Oct 03

I've been using a wireless network for about two months now. I have a desktop and two laptops. All work very well. I am using Linksys and D-Link equipment purchased from Dabs and eBuyer. I have had no problems with any of it. Good luck.

The Ghost of Inept Pig 18:25 26 Oct 03

Thanks for the replies, any idea of how wireless networking compares to the standard kind? Would there be any noticeable difference in speed?

fitshase 20:41 26 Oct 03

There would be no speed difference between wired and wireless networks in the internet surfing speeds. Broadband runs at 512kbps (or 1Mbps or 2Mbps). Wireless networks run at 11Mbps (or 54Mbps on the 802.11a and 802.11g).

However, for transfering files between the computers, a wired network is faster (100Mbps). It is only if you are using the network to transer large files will you notice a difference in speed.

Regards

Fitshase

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…