Wireless network won't work!

limit1 08:22 03 Nov 04

I have set up a home wireless network and both PC's see each other. Unfortunately when I try to transfer files from one to the other I get the following error.
"\\**computer is not accessible.You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact your administrator to find out if you have access permission".

I have checked all the settings (I am the administrator for both PC's) and cannot spot the problem.

Has anybody had a similar problem, and more to the point how did you solve it?

Daveson 09:00 03 Nov 04

Have you enabled file shareing on both pc's. Right click the folder that has the files and click on sharing and security. Hope this helps.

AndySD 09:07 03 Nov 04

What firewalls are you using?

Check that you have set them for networking.

Sir Radfordin 10:55 03 Nov 04

What OS are you using?

Can you ping one machine from the other?

limit1 09:35 04 Nov 04

Thanks for all your responses, here is an update:
My OS is XP proffessional
I have turned off all firewalls
File sharing is enabled on both PC's.
I have tried to ping one machine from the other without any success, although when I look in Network Places, each PC is 'seeing' the other, and if either one is shut down a message appears saying that the PC has been disconnected from the network.
I'm still at a loss as to what the problem is.

hillybilly 09:46 04 Nov 04

Just one more question first!

Have you got SP2 installed?

limit1 10:46 04 Nov 04

Yes SP2 is installed.

hillybilly 10:52 04 Nov 04

Simply because of the different problems you do hear some people having, have tried just re running the network wizard on both pc's? Simple I know but it has to be the first step.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Acer Predator Triton 700 review

D&AD Awards 2017: see the best design, advertising, illustration, animation and VR of the past year

How to lose weight with an Apple Watch