Wireless network won't work!

limit1 08:22 03 Nov 04

I have set up a home wireless network and both PC's see each other. Unfortunately when I try to transfer files from one to the other I get the following error.
"\\**computer is not accessible.You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact your administrator to find out if you have access permission".

I have checked all the settings (I am the administrator for both PC's) and cannot spot the problem.

Has anybody had a similar problem, and more to the point how did you solve it?

Daveson 09:00 03 Nov 04

Have you enabled file shareing on both pc's. Right click the folder that has the files and click on sharing and security. Hope this helps.

AndySD 09:07 03 Nov 04

What firewalls are you using?

Check that you have set them for networking.

Sir Radfordin 10:55 03 Nov 04

What OS are you using?

Can you ping one machine from the other?

limit1 09:35 04 Nov 04

Thanks for all your responses, here is an update:
My OS is XP proffessional
I have turned off all firewalls
File sharing is enabled on both PC's.
I have tried to ping one machine from the other without any success, although when I look in Network Places, each PC is 'seeing' the other, and if either one is shut down a message appears saying that the PC has been disconnected from the network.
I'm still at a loss as to what the problem is.

hillybilly 09:46 04 Nov 04

Just one more question first!

Have you got SP2 installed?

limit1 10:46 04 Nov 04

Yes SP2 is installed.

hillybilly 10:52 04 Nov 04

Simply because of the different problems you do hear some people having, have tried just re running the network wizard on both pc's? Simple I know but it has to be the first step.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…