Wireless Network woes

racoonboy 22:00 22 Nov 04

Hi All,

Hope someone can help. I have a desktop PC running Windows XP Pro with SP2, and a laptop running XP Home. The desktop has a dialup connection with AOL as the ISP. The laptop has a Broadcom 54g 802.11g wireless card built in.

I would like to achieve two things:
1) Set up a home wireless network so that the two computers can share files and my printer.
2) Allow the laptop to access the web through the dialup connection on the desktop.

I have purchased a DLink AirPlus 520+ wireless PCI card for the desktop. However, despite repeatedly trying to set up some kind of network, letting Windows configure settings, trying to set them myself etc. I am having no joy. Even though the PCI card is installed ok, my desktop tray has a little monitor with a cross on it which has the popup message "Wireless network connection not connected. Right click here for more details".

I've heard some bad things recently about DLink cards and XP compatibility, and am starting to wonder if I've bought a real turkey. Can anyone advise a kind of 'step by step' process, or point me in the right direction?

racoonboy 22:02 22 Nov 04

Clicked twice - was half playing with network settings on laptop at the same time :O)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017