wireless network to a wired printer

jaberwokey 13:01 21 Jan 08

I have a netgear router (DG834PN)and have 2 laptops which both work fine connecting to the router which is WEP protected.

The problem i am trying to solve is this;

I have a HP printer (C5100 all in one)which has both USB and ethernet ports. I would like to be able to print wirelessley from both laptops. Currently each time i want to print i have to mess around connecting the laptop to the printer untangling leads each time to achieve this.

Can i set the printer up, connecting it to my router with either a ethernet or usb cable and have the laptops configured to recognise the printer on the network?

I am happy to have the printer wired to the router, assuming that a wireless printer is not an option?

Any help advice greatly appreciated.. a novice ._.

MoboMoFo 15:17 21 Jan 08

Your printer has an ethernet port - in which case you should be able to connect this directly to the router - there will probably be some kind of configuration for IP address etc on the printer itself....

retep888 16:09 21 Jan 08

Use a straight patch ethernet cable to connect the printer to one of the free LAN ports on the router, then the router will assign an IP address
for the printer automatically.
Since you've been using USB driver, you might have to delete the printer and reinstall it again and this time choose the wired connection instead of USB.
If all your wireless laptops were configured fully networking beforehand then you can print wirelessly as if they're wired.

jaberwokey 16:58 21 Jan 08

I have followed your advice and all is good with both laptops now printing wireless as described in threads . Thought it would work, but i needed some reassurance, so as not to mess up my network settings, you guys provided that reassurance. Thanks :-)))

*paul* 10:36 29 Jan 08

Hi,
I want to do the same but my Epson Stylus only has a USB port. Could i get a USB to Ethernet lead and do the same?

MS90 13:19 31 Jan 08

Hi, Paul i dont think there is such a cable i'm afraid you can either by a wireless printer or buy a (wireless or Wired) print server which you plug your usb printer and then the print server plugs into the back of your router or if it is a wireless print server you do not even have to plug it in to your router, both options are widely aviable from the likes of Argos, Currys and PC World for about £50 - £60 roughly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…