Wireless Network SSID

dave1989 00:23 16 Nov 08

Hi, I'm not sure if this is a common problem or not but I can't find anything on the net about it.

Basically, I'm running Vista on my laptop and using Wireless internet. My problem is that I am connecting to two networks. One is the network I created, and the other is a one that just appeared with the name "MySSID 2". I have deleted the network but it just re-appears automatically and is a public network that turns on SSID broadcast and file sharing, although it does allow me to change all of this. When I disconnect from this network though, it disconnects me from the proper network and leaves me unable to access the Internet.

I have found things online regarding ad-hoc networks, VPNs etc. but nothing that points towards the creation of an almost identical SSID/

I am quite concerned that I have a security issue here and would greatly appreciate any information anyone has.

Cheers.

STREETWORK 05:52 16 Nov 08

what router are you using...

ambra4 07:24 16 Nov 08

See if changing the channel on the router will help, as a network close by could be causing the problem

mgmcc 11:50 16 Nov 08

What is the SSID of your own network? If it is MySSID", or the router's default SSID, then change it to something different.

dave1989 10:03 17 Nov 08

Cheers for the quick replies.

I'm using a Netgear WGR614. I had changed my SSID from the default and also changed the standard password when I installed the network. There are 5 of us who use this wireless network and we do have several wireless networks close by as we live in a fairly busy part of town.

ambra4 12:48 17 Nov 08

You do not need IPv6 at the present time disable IPv6 in all computers using Vista

Download the pdf file will tell you how to disable IPv6 in Vista

click here

If still having the same problem change the router wireless channel

dave1989 16:13 17 Nov 08

I've turned off the options on my wireless network connection according to the pdf and the second network has disappeared, so thanks very much. To be honest, it doesn't seem like it could be that much of a problem, but I only want to be connected to the networks that I've created if I can help it!

ambra4 04:09 18 Nov 08

IPv6 in Vista can cause some very strange problems

So I now disable it automatic on all vista computers that I work on

Glad to hear that your problem solved

Enjoy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac