Wireless Network Speeds

stebinnersley 12:16 30 Jan 05

I am about to set up a wireless net work for my laptop... looking at what router to go for.

How fast wil my connection be? If i use a 54Mbps, how fast is this be compared to my current broadband connection.. are wireless networks just as fast?

For instance how long will a 1mb download take over such a network?

georgemac © 12:24 30 Jan 05

even a b standard wireless connection will be faster than your broadband connection

your bb conection is most likely 0.512 MegaBitsPerSecond

54g is 54 MBS so 108 times faster than a 512K bb connection

I think that is correct

I have a 54g wireless connection between my 2 pc's with a netgear dg834g router - for moving data between the pc's it is very fast.

The bets wireless router deal I have seen around currently is click here I have recently purchased and set up 2 of these for friends - excellent kit.

stebinnersley 12:29 30 Jan 05

so basically for surfing the net on a wireless system, or maybe playing online games, a wirless connection will not be any slower than my current 1.1 mbps connection to the net?

I was worried that it would be a slow method of connection.

Is it worth getting a 108 router? will i beifit from such speeds? a

All i require is that i can file share over my 2 pcs and i can surf the net on my laptop at bb speeds.

georgemac © 12:48 30 Jan 05

personally I would not pay the extra for 108 mbs unless you are moving very large amounts of data between the pc's

wait for some other opinions just in case I have got the figures wrong.

matt1234 13:07 30 Jan 05

i recomend netgear for your netowrk solutions as their equipment is tough and works verywell and tech surport is verygood!!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…