Wireless Network "speed"

sjl17 21:41 29 Jul 05

I'm going to set up a wireless network (3 PC's, 1 Notebook) to share an ADSL Broadband connection. I've priced up the kit with Ebuyer as £181.50 for the 800.11g (54 mbps) and £200.65 for the 800.11g(108 mbps). My question is - is it worth getting the 108 mbps one? Will I notice any difference between the two if the network is going to be mainly used for Broadband sharing over 3 PC's and a laptop?

Cheers

tasslehoff burrfoot 21:50 29 Jul 05

I will be very much amazed if it's faster than 108mbps!!!

So no, in terms of sharing your broadband connection you won't notice any difference. It'll transfer at the speed of your connection.

If you want to share files between PCs though you will definitely notice the difference (it'll be twice as fast)

Personally, I would go for the best I could afford - you don't know what you're going to want to do in the future.

Tas

tasslehoff burrfoot 21:52 29 Jul 05

seems a bit much (only a bit though)

Is it for router and 4 PCI/PCMCIA/USB thingies?

sjl17 21:59 29 Jul 05

It's an adsl modem/router (Netgear DG834G), 3 PCI cards and one USB adapter...

Can I do it for less?

Dipso 22:14 29 Jul 05

Bundled router and USB adapter click here and 3 Netgear wireless cards click here £158.57

You could get cheaper wireless cards if you went for a cheaper brand.

tasslehoff burrfoot 22:28 29 Jul 05

PCI cards

cheapest on kelkoo click here is £12.92 (thats 108mbps but will be backward compatible) x 3 = £39 roughly

The cheapest USB click here is £25.84

For the DG834G click here it's £61.99

Rough total £130 add postage (which I didn't check but shouldn't be much???) and you should save at least 20 quid

I'm no expert on this subject, but these should all work together.

Some people say you should never mix manufacturers of wireless devices. In my (limited) experience I have only had a problem with Belkin not talking to other makes' devices. And even then it was only a WAP, the router was fine.

As I say, I'm no expert so please wait and see if one comes along and says I'm completely wrong!

HTH

Tas

roy 22:29 29 Jul 05

Could I just point out that it is usual to connect the router to the main pc by an ethernet (cable connection) and that most new pc's already have the network sockets on the motherboard. If so you could save the cost of one of your adaptors.

woodchip 22:29 29 Jul 05

Why is it costing that amount? I bought a 3Com Wireless Firewall Router Modem and a Laptop Card for about £70 I connect the two desktops via the onboard Ethernet’s Strait Ethernet wire not crossover
Laptop Wireless but up to 127 Wireless can be connected at 800.11g (54 mbps It fly’s. I don't have them networked, Not worth the Hassle

sjl17 22:41 29 Jul 05

I forgot that I could (and should) connect one of the Pc's to the modem as 'wired' so can save there...
That means only 2 PCI cards and a USB adapter + modem for about £125...

That of course is for the 54mbps speed - which I am presuming should be more than sufficient for my needs?

Dipso 22:42 29 Jul 05

My post does include postage which I didn't clarify. Amazon are not the cheapest for the PCI cards, you could shop elsewhere for those, but as they are bundling the USB adapter with the router, that's a good deal.

Dipso 22:44 29 Jul 05

Unless you intend to share large files between the PC's/laptop, the 54 Mbps should be enough.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…