Wireless Network Setup Wizard

fazza8 11:22 04 Jan 06

What is the difference between this way of setting up and the Network Setup Wizard? I tried using the wireless one and it prompted me to put my stick drive into the wireless access point. I have a router connected to my NTL Samsung set-top box and I am at a loss where i should insert the stick drive. (NO rude answers please!)

mgmcc 14:04 04 Jan 06

What hardware do you actually have? Normally the router would connect by ethernet cable to NTL's set-top box and (if the "sitck" is a USB network adapter) it would be plugged into the computer's USB port. The USB adapter's software then scans for Available Networks when it should find, and let you connect to, your router.

Is your setup different from this?

fazza8 14:37 04 Jan 06

I have a Sweex 11g router connected to NTL box with a cable from the router to my PC. The "stick" is a USB mini drive. This is what the wizard suggests. I don't know what they mean by insert in wireless access point.

mgmcc 14:49 04 Jan 06

Ah, right. When you run the wizard to set up a network between several computers, you are prompted to insert a USB flash drive, or similar, so that a file can be written to it for configuring other computers in the network. It used to be a floppy disk that was used. It really isn't necessary - I have never used either the wizard, or any type of removable media, to set up a Local Area Network. I actually think the wizard offers confusing options making it too easy to go in the wrong direction.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…