wireless network setup problem

dontaskme 20:09 27 Aug 03

I have a centrino laptop running windows xp professional and a home pc running windows xp home. I bought a wireless adapter to set up a network, but cannot set up a network.

It just says wireless connection unavailable. Both wireless adapters are 802.11b

My understanding was that i didn't need a router, have i bought the wrong thing?
click here

Any advice?

harry_b 20:26 27 Aug 03

look at your link under "press reviews"

jazzypop 22:40 27 Aug 03
  dontaskme 08:09 30 Aug 03

Thank you for those links jazzypop, they helped me set it up, but i reinstalled xp on the home pc and can't get the network running again.

Sometimes the home pc can access the laptop's shared documents, but never the other way around.

(I needed the network setup before i wiped the hard drive so that i could transfer all the files)

jazzypop 08:48 30 Aug 03

Do you have any firewalls installed (including the built-in one for XP)?

If so, try uninstalling them and see if your network is ok.

Lozzy 08:51 30 Aug 03

To have a wireless network you must have a Gateway/Router access point as well as a wireless card in the laptop. Do you have one?

dontaskme 17:58 30 Aug 03

I uninstalled the firewall and it worked instantly (would have saved a few hours if i had checked here earlier). Thank you again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…