Wireless Network Setup Help

Yokehead 17:37 28 Dec 05

Seasons greetings!
I have a desktop & 2 laptops each with wireless that are set up to separately connect to the internet through Wanadoo Livebox. All 3 can be on the internet at the same time. How can I also network the machines for file sharing by using their wireless capability and without losing their separate internet connection ability? Thanks.

mgmcc 19:52 28 Dec 05

- All three computers should be in the *SAME* Workgroup, but have individual names.

- In each PC, set at least one folder as "shared" by right clicking it and selecting the Sharing & Security option.

- Configure any third-party software to allow access to the networked computers.

That is essentially it. When you open "My Network Places" in any of the PCs and expand the folder tree, you should see icons for all three PCs together with their "shared" folders.

Yokehead 09:45 29 Dec 05

Thanks, easier than I thought it would be (for a change!), the only other things I had to do were to get around 'mshome not recognised' by following the Microsoft KB instructions, and to change the Windows Firewall settings. Presume it would be ok to disable the Windows Firewall in the wireless internet connection and use the Zonealarm firewall instead?

mgmcc 12:11 29 Dec 05

<<< Presume it would be ok to disable the Windows Firewall in the wireless internet connection and use the Zonealarm firewall instead? >>>

I have always used Zone Alarm in preference to Windows' own firewall, so that isn't a problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…