Wireless Network setup via BT Broadband

IanNiblock 14:22 27 Oct 03

Hello all,

I am looking at setting up a network in a friends house - she has a BT Broadband connection and a laptop with a wireless network card. Her five housemates all have desktops with standard Ethernet network cards.

Am I correct in thinking that the best (cheapest) option would be to buy an ADSL Wireless Router and a small hub (I think the best option is to buy a four port hub and split 1 of the ports using the hub?)

Can any suggest any alternatives / give advice

Thank you in advance.

madPentium 16:07 27 Oct 03

Can you split ports and share them? Not as far as I know, they will require a unique network name/address for a piece of equipment connected.

If you need 5 ports and a link to the router, you will need an 8 port switch, dont get a standard hub. Switches work so much more efficiently.

So, the 5 housemates are being wired permanently with cat5 cable? or are they also to be wireless?

IanNiblock 16:12 27 Oct 03

Thanks for that,

The 5 housemates are being wired permanently, I was just looking for the cheapest network configuration (they are all students!)

madPentium 17:17 27 Oct 03

The other thing to remember is that the lead between the switch and the router needs to be a crossover cable. Unless you buy a netgear switch which has a port that does this automatically.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…