Wireless network security

Koochy 22:40 10 Oct 06

Hi all,
Just wondering if anybody can help me with a couple of questions.
A) I have a wireless network set up now and i use the wpa security security feature but can you tell me if this is the same as a firewall or am i barking up the wrong tree? but if this is a firewall does this then meen that by having zone alarm free installed this may cause a conflict.

And B) Are there any sites out there that can safely test your firewall for you?

O.S. XP SP2 with all update
Zone alarm free
AVG free

Thanks

Koochy

Ashrich 23:26 10 Oct 06

A firewall makes a program ask if it can access either the Internet or your other computer files / operating system so you can either give it permission or not , this works in both directions , whereas WPA wireless encryption secures the link between your wireless router and the computer accessing the router and its connection to the internet , so keep using your firewall , it won't cause a conflict .

Ashley

Ashrich 23:29 10 Oct 06

click here to test your firewall .

Ashley

Koochy 00:03 11 Oct 06

Thanks for that Ashrich i have a true stealth rating wich i am very happy with.

Koochy

Danoh 00:34 11 Oct 06

f your query is resolved, please tick the Resolved box?

Koochy 14:02 11 Oct 06

Danoh thanks for your concern but i was under the impression tht this is a forum in which discusions may take place and i have left it open for now to see if anybody else has any input. So thanks again and i will mark resolved in a couple of days if no further input.

Koochy

Strawballs 14:16 11 Oct 06
  Koochy 15:09 11 Oct 06

Strawballs your link doesn't work

Koochy

Strawballs 16:18 11 Oct 06

click here sorry try this

irishrapter 19:32 11 Oct 06

Good job of setting up WPA encryption, dont forget that your encryption is only as good as the passphrase used.
If you have used a word that is in the dictionary then your WPA encrytpion is breakable.
Try using a 63 character random password from here click here.

Koochy 20:33 11 Oct 06

Good site irishraptor thanks for that.

K

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…