Wireless Network Security

AlanHo 22:36 26 Jul 05

I was round at a friends house today and happened to have my laptop with me. He needed some info from me so I fired up the laptop in his house - to find to my surprise that it detected and connected to a wireless network. I was able to browse the web and access my Emails. He lives in a residential area so I presume it must be a neighbour using a wireless broadband router on his home computer. I guess it cannot be a commercial hot spot because it did not request any log-in details.

This sponsors two questions.

Would anyone local - who has a wireless PCI card in their computer - be able to make the connection.

I have a wireless network router at home to connect with my laptop - how do I check whether it can be accessed by others - and if it is - how do you stop it?

frankie-341484 23:08 26 Jul 05

At the very least you should try and hide your SSID from external users, some wirless routers allow you to do that and you should have wep encryption set @ a min to 128 bit with the encryption keys set to manual so only cards with the info on it can use the wireless router to connect to your network and the internet.

As it stands your friends neighbours network is open for everyone to use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…