Wireless Network Quoted Speeds query

DJ-Garry 13:30 21 Oct 07

I am on Virgin 2meg cable BB. I have a desktop PC connected to a switch port via LAN cable to a wireless router and a laptop connected via wireless. When I check the network connection speeds on the PC it always says 100Mbps. Presumably, that's because it's always connected via cable and that's the max speed of the LAN card, socket, cable etc.

The laptop however, often says it's connected at 54Mbps, the max speed of the wireless connection (802.11g) but sometimes drops down to, well, anything really. Yesterday it was down to 1Mbps and the download speed was awful. It's now sitting at 18Mbps, alot slower than normal.

It's the corrolation between the different numbers that confuses me. 2meg broadband, is that the same as 2Mbps, 20Mbps or 200Mbps??

And should my wireless connection speed be going up and down??

Cheers, Garry

Technotiger 13:49 21 Oct 07

2meg broadband is the same as 2Mbps (Mb = Megabytes)

The 100.0Mbps shown when you hover your cursor over the icon in System Tray is the speed which your computer 'talks' to other computers on your own system - or would if you had additional computers on your system, like a laptop - desktop system. It is not the speed of your Internet connection.

click here to check your Internet connection speed.

Technotiger 13:51 21 Oct 07

should my wireless connection speed be going up and down??

Yes, it is perfectly normal for the connection speed to fluctuate.

DJ-Garry 14:44 21 Oct 07

Thaks for that Technotiger. I tried the link to speed test and I pinged UK, Rome, East and West cost USA. Newyork was a little slower but all the others came up at over 2050kb/s download and 243kb/s upload. Tried running both machines at the same time and the desktop was 998kb/s and the laptop 1101kb/s so fairly consistant there then.

So if the wirless network connection speed on the laptop is anything higher than 2Mbps, it shouldn't be effecting my internet connection to the laptop then. Is that right??

Cheers, Garry

Technotiger 14:46 21 Oct 07

In short - No.

Cheers ...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…