Wireless Network Query

Davy 43 18:37 01 Jul 05

I have a wireless enabled laptop, I've just bought a Belkin Wireless G modem/router & a Belkin wireless network card.
The router is set up and the laptop can now access the internet wirelessly.I have installed the network card in the PC, but I'm having problems, as the PC can 'see the router'but can't access the internet. I'm a`complete novice at this, just managing to stumble through !
By the way both laptop & PC are both totally wireless, neither wired to the`router via ethernet port/cables.

Taff36 21:57 02 Jul 05

Looks like you`ve been abandoned. Which models of Belkin have you got. I`m no expert on Belkin but I`m good at stumbling through too! I presume the laptop is XP but which Operating System is the PC?

Davy 43 19:49 03 Jul 05

Thanks Taff36.

The PC is also running Windows XP,The modem router is an 802.11g 54mbps. The network card is also 802.11g standard, but is the faster 125mbps.
I did have a problem with Norton anti-virus software on the lap top, so I'm wondering if it's a similar problem with thle PC which has McAfee installed, please help !

John-259217 20:22 03 Jul 05

Did you run the network set-up wizard on the desktop PC?

If so did you select the option "This computer connects to the internet through another computer or a home gateway"?

Also, when prompted for the PC`s internet connection you needed to specify the wireless adapter if you have other possible connections available (onboard internet, internal modem etc) as Windows doesn`t always get this right.

Forgive me if you have done this but the XP wizard normally makes a decent job of network set-up.

Finally, does your McAfee anti-virus include a firewall? If it does try disabling that and see what happens. If you get an internet connection then you will need to configure the firewall correctly to allow access.

Davy 43 21:34 03 Jul 05

Thanks m73John, I think I know where I might have 'boobed'!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…