Wireless Network Problems - Netgear DG834G

Sir Radfordin 10:37 21 Jun 04

Have setup a Netgear DG834G and it did seem to be working fine. However it is now dropping out all the time and clients spend more time unconnected than connected.

Had upgraded the firmware to the latest version but this didn't make any difference.

Was running it with restriced access on MAC address and WEP protection. Have just disabled both these and doesn't seem to have made too much difference, though did seem to help the clients connect.

Anyone got any bright ideas? Connection when it does happen comes up as excellent so don't think signal is a problem.

Clients are 2 PCs with Netgear USB adaptors and 1 Centrino laptop.

Lozzy 11:03 21 Jun 04

Could be a firewall issue in the router itself. Have a look at that element as well as the rules on your stand alone firewall under networking.

byfordr 11:12 21 Jun 04

Is there a software firewall running as well?

You could try this reset button on the unit, then run through the setup procedure again.

R

Al94 11:31 21 Jun 04

is the modem synchronising OK, just wireless connection causing the problem?

Al94 11:33 21 Jun 04

if just wireless, try changing the channe;, could be some sort of interference

powerless 11:45 21 Jun 04

With the Aerial but be careful not to knock it out as it's a pain to get back in - i find.

Sir Radfordin 09:49 22 Jun 04

Had a play with said router yesterday evening. Didn't seem to haev much success. Managed to get it running for about 30 mins and transfered over some fairly large files and printed various PDFs without any problems.

However seems to have failed again some time during the night. Evil thing.

Have disabled IEEE 8xxx autentication in WinXP as suggested on Netgear's site but this didn't seem to make a difference.

Once and ADSL connection is established then it keeps that live. I can remotely manage the router without any problems.

Any more suggestions?

byfordr 09:56 22 Jun 04

Have you tried resetting the unit back to factory settings then reinstalling the firmware again?

click here may yield something further

If all else fails contact netgear. Their support is very good, and if it is faulty they are pretty good at replacing products.

24 x 7 pre- or post-sales technical assistance can be obtained from our European Support Team on
0870 112 1206.

For e-mail assistance, please use [email protected] or complete this Form

On-line technical information is available from click here

R

Sir Radfordin 19:00 22 Jun 04

Well decided to ring Netgear and whilst the phone was answered very quickly (not sure it even rang) got through to someone who I struggled to understand. Sadly I don't think English was his first language. But there we go, a case id has been given and I'm told I can return it to the supplier to be sent a replacement. Not great but lets hope it solves the problem.

crimbo 19:06 22 Jun 04

I had this problem whilst using BTYahoo as my broadband provider, but has disappeared since switching to Pipex.

Sir Radfordin 19:08 22 Jun 04

Sounds odd! However, the problem existed before there was an ADSL connection sorted so fairly sure it wasn't that. The ADSL is with ZEN who have in the past been very good.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…