Wireless Network Problems

wavey102 18:27 23 Nov 06

Having been successful (eventually) in setting up two computers, wirelessly, to the Internet through a Netgear DG834G router I have now tried to get the two computers to communicate with each other so I can share printers and files etc.

The printers are set up as "shared" and the files I want to share are in "shared documents". However, when I click on "View Workgroup computers" I get "[the name of the workgroup] is not available. You might not have permission.......etc etc"

The Workgroup is named the same as the SSID of the router and both computers are connected to the router via the wireless adaptors.

The Wireless network set up Wizard is a waste of time as the router doesn't have a USB port (and it would probably mess up my Internet access anyway.

Could anyone possibly help please?

Dave

Ashrich 22:43 23 Nov 06

What operating system are you using ? Instead of using the wireless network wizard use the ordinary network wizard instead .

Ashley

wavey102 22:50 23 Nov 06

Both on XP

wavey102 23:21 23 Nov 06

Tried the ordinary network wizard - no luck.

If it did work - how would I access the other computer. Would it appear as a drive on "My Computer" or would I have to go to "My Network Places".

Is there a way to map the other computer to a drive?

mgmcc 08:35 24 Nov 06

<<< the files I want to share are in "shared documents". >>>

The "Shared Documents" folder is used so that documents can be saved and then automatically be available from all User Accounts set up in Windows XP. To be available over a network, it still has to be set up as a "Network Share" in the same way as any other folder - right click and select the "Sharing & Security" option.

Make sure that both computers are in the same Workgroup, that you have set at least one folder as "Shared" in each PC and that any firewall software has been configured to allow access to the networked computers, which may involve adding their IP addresses in a "trusted area".

wavey102 23:28 24 Nov 06

Thanks mgmcc - New computer can get files from the old computer and share its printers but not the other way around. Configured firewall settings to make this happen. Clicked on so many things, can't remember exactly what I did - so I can't get the "other way" working. It's not the firewall cos I disabled it and still couldn't connect. Never mind, one way is probably good enough for now.

PS If my recent post got posted, I'm sorry. I lost it and blamed everyone but myself.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple